Monday, January 30, 2012

Meet Cameron

This story was shared by Cameron's mom, Erin:

For 4 years we had been told that I can't get pregnant. I suffer from Endromitriosis and severe ovarian cysts on my one remaining ovary. In November of 2010, I ended up really sick and in a lot of pain. On December 3rd, I went in to get the pain checked. It showed I had 2 larger than golfball size cysts on my right side. My doctor put me on birth control for a month. On December 31st (day before New Years) I went back in and I said, "Doc I sure hope you can take me off these pills. They're messing me up and making me cry for no reason." The ultrasound showed that the cysts shrunk. My doctor looks at me and says "Uhhh... Your pregnant. I'm amazed, it's a miracle". He flipped the monitor around showing me the tiny baby 8 1/2 weeks along. I cried so hard!

The pregnancy was going good except for the horrible morning sickness. At 22 weeks we had an ultrasound where we found out we were having a BOY! We also found out he had a 2 vessel cord which required an ultrasound every 4 weeks after that. I was put on bed rest at 28 weeks because I was on the verge of pre-eclampsia. At 32 weeks we had an ultrasound. The doctor would scan and stop, scan and stop. I knew something was wrong but I couldn't say it. She finally says, "there is something wrong with his heart, and I hear an abnormality in his cord. I'm going to admit you right now and I think it is best to take him." My husband and I were speechless and in tears.

After being admitted I received 2 days of steroids before they started the induction. I received 5 cervix softeners, a foley water balloon to dilate me to 4 1/2 cm (ouch) and then started pitocin. They wouldn't break my water because he kept bobbing. At 7 1/2 cm my dr accidentally broke it. On June 21st 2011 at 6:19 am, 64 hours in labor, my little Cameron Lucas made it into the world weighing 4 lbs 4 oz. He came out blue and only let out a small cry. They let me look at him then took him to NICU immediately.

This is where our NICU day started... They put him on oxygen right away but he was still grunting and his ribs were retracting with nasal flaring. At 6 hours old they intubated him where he received cerfactin. He was only intubated for 24 hours and stayed on oxygen a week an a half. There turned out being nothing wrong with his heart. His umbilical cord started to thicken, causing "umbilical artery notching" (very rare). It was so thick they couldnt get a catheter thru his belly button and it caused his heart to malfunction. After everything he was a feeder and a grower but wouldn't take much by mouth. He spent 3 weeks in the NICU, coming home at 5 lbs 9 oz.  Today he is 6 months old and weighs around 16.5 lbs. He is truly our little miracle.

Just born

A few hours after birth

My first time holding him

Going home!  3 weeks old

Now--6 months old

No comments:

Post a Comment